Okay for the few people that were wondering here are the recipes to the meals we have coming up.
I tried to find a link for the quinoa soup, but can’t find it. I just got the recipe out of my Jan 2009 issue of vegetarian times magazine.
QUINOA AND SPINACH SOUP
1 med onion (diced 1 1/4 cups)
3 cups low sodium veggie broth
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 – 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and organo
10oz spinach leaves
1. Coat large saucepan with cooking spray and heat over med heat. Add onion, and saute 5 min, or until soft. Stir in broth and 4 cups water, and bring to boil. Add quinoa, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 15 min.
2. Stir in tomatoes and spinach leaves. Simmer 5 minutes, uncovered, or until spinach and quinoa are tender. Season with salt and pepper, if desired and serve immedietly.
That soup is SUPER easy and so yummy. My kids even ate it up and they don’t always eat soupy stuff very well. 🙂
LENTIL AND BROWN RICE SOUP
12 cups broth (we use veggie)
1.5 cups lentils, sorted and rinsed
1 cup uncooked brown rice
2 lbs canned tomatoes, drained and chopped, juice reserved
3 carrots, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 cups chopped celery
3 garlic gloves minced
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup minced parsley
2 tbs cider vinegar, or to taste
1. In large stock pot, combine the broth, lentils, rice, tomatoes and reserved juice, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, basil, organo, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 40-45 minutes, or until the lentils and rice are tender.
2. Stir in the parsley, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and discard the bay leaf. The soup will be thick and will thicken as it stands. Thin the soup, if desired, with additional hot broth or water.
I have never made the lentil and brown rice but my mom has and it was so good and feeds a ton of people too. The recipe says it feeds 16-18 people – talk about freezing some meals!!!
2 – 19 oz cans of cannellini beans
1 – 19 oz can of garbanzo or fava beans
1/4 cup basil pesto
1 med onion chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 tsp dried italian seasoning, crushed
1 – 16 oz pkg refrigerated cooked plain polenta cut in 1/2 inch thick slices
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
1 – 8 oz pkg finely shredded italian cheese blend (2 cups)
1 cup torn radicchio
1. Rince and drain beans. In large bolw comgine beans, 2 tbls of pesto, onion and garlic and Italian seasoning.
2. In 4 to 5 quart slow cooker layer half of bean mixture, half of polenta, and half of cheese. Add remaining beans and polenta. Cover; cook on low heat setting 4-6 hours or on high heat 2-2.5 hours. Add tomoato, remaining cheese, spinach and radicchio. Combine remaining pesto and 1tbs water. Drizzle pesto mixture on casserol. Let stand, uncovered 5 min.
makes 8 servings – i haven’t made this either, but mom has and it rocked. we got this out of the Oct 2008 Better Homes and Gardens magazine.