It is amazing how quickly life can change. Just when you think you know what’s going on life throws you a curve ball. Sometimes you’re ready for it and other times you’re not. In the past 24 hours I have been thrown 2 curve balls. One I was ready for and one that knocked me to my knees in surprise.
As you know Fedna and Bear were scheduled to be picked up by Salem (a volunteer for MAT) in PAP tomorrow and then she would get back on a plane in PAP and head to FLL with both kids. That is a lot of work for one person. Bear is critical. He needs constant care and constant watch over his “bump” on his back. Fedna is almost three and is paralyzed from the waist down. Salem is a champ and was prepared. Double stroller with a special pillow for Fedna.
Sarah, Salem and I were talking last night and we thought it would be best if someone could meet Salem in Fort Lauderdale and fly back with her to Austin. That way someone can take care of Fedna while she takes care of Bear. Much better. Here comes my curve ball that I was prepared for and had thought about the what if’s of me doing this. I said “I’ll go”. I don’t mind spending a day flying to FL and back in one day to help get Fedna. It would give us time to “bond” and she could get to know me and it would help Salem out lots.
Great. Plane tickets were bought last night for me. Head out at 7AM on New Year’s Day and home by 10:30 with Fedna, Salem and Bear. Sarah (another volunteer for MAT from Washington) and three of her kids would fly in the same day and meet us at the airport. Sarah will be Bear’s host mom while he is here. All the plans were laid out. Things were in place. Rooms were reserved at the Ronald McDonald House, doctors were on call, time was set to get to hospital, surgeries were set in place. Yippee!
This morning I woke up with a crazy to do list going on in my head. One of my most important things to do today was go out and find the perfect doll for Fedna. I wanted to meet her in FLL at customs and have this doll for her. Something she could love on and have to comfort her. The boys were loaded in the van and I was locking the front door when my phone rang.
Here comes the curve ball I was not prepared for. The one that knocked me to my knees.
I answer to find Salem on the other end. It’s not happening she says. They are not coming. WHAT??? Did I just hear that right? There was an error on Bear’s passport and the visa office wouldn’t even look at it. Passport offices in Haiti are closed. Maybe until Jan 8th. Nothing we can do. He can’t get his visa. He’s not coming. They are not coming now.
I think the earliest they can get stuff done will be January 8th. The kids will be coming to Austin, just not when we originally thought. I’m struggling with why God would do it this way. Why would he allow this to happen when Bear is in critical condition and needs help soon? I have no answers, but I do know that God is a good God and that his ways are not always our ways. I am choosing to TRUST that he has a plan bigger than ours and that this will work out in his timing.
Selfishly I’m wishing Fedna was here this weekend. It seems to be the perfect weekend for us. Aaron doesn’t lead on Sunday and was planning on taking the boys camping while we were at the hospital. Once again, God’s plans are perfect even when to me they look flawed. I’m trying to make myself understand and believe this 100%, but it’s hard when our minds tell us differently.
Please pray for Bear as he waits for possibly another week to get here. Pray for Licia & Lori as they have worked so hard these last few days getting passport and visa appointments together. Pray for Bear’s caregiver this week. Give them strength and wisdom as they change his bandages. Pray for the doctors, nurses, staff, hospital here in Austin. Pray that schedules can be changed and that people are understanding of this being out of our control.
Curve balls. You never know when they are coming.