I was reading Stephanie’s adoption blog today and came across this and had to share with you. Stephanie and her husband are missionaries in Chili and are in the begining stages of adoption from Haiti.
You hear about surprise pregnancy (um … Cayden) but do you ever hear of surprise adoptions ???? If so, it might go something like this ….
– –Honey, sit down. I have some news for you.
– –What is it?
– –Well, I don’t know how to say this, so I’ll just come out with it. I went out to the mailbox today and … well, we got an I-171H.
– –A what?!? An I-171H? As in, we’re going to have another baby?!?
– –It looks that way.
– –But how? We’ve been so careful! I put away all the blank I-600A forms. Didn’t you hide our home study update?
– –Of course I did. But don’t forget, there was that one night …
– –What night? (Pauses) Oh, that night. But it was only once. We were just messing around. I didn’t print clearly. I didn’t even use ink! (Pauses again) But it was kind of fun.
– –(Giggles) it was, wasn’t it? I’ll never forget how cute you looked getting your fingerprints.
– –So now we’ve got our I-171H, eh? But that doesn’t always mean you’ll adopt, does it? I mean, shouldn’t you see the agency or something, make sure everything is okay?
– –I already did.
– –I’m five documents along.
– –Five documents! And they’re all notarized, certified and authenticated okay?
– –Just great. There was one small scare when the agency couldn’t see the notary’s middle initial, but it showed up just fine under the magnifying glass.
– –Thank goodness. And you honey? Are you feeling okay?
– –I’m feeling fine. As long as I know you’re happy about this.
– –Happy? I’m thrilled! It’s always a shock at first when something like this happens, but of course I’m happy!